Sweetwater Realty


History of Cordry-Sweetwater Lakes

Cordry and Sweetwater Lakes were the brainchild of developer Howard Prince. Mr. Prince developed Prince’s Lakes in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s. He then focused on the development of two larger lakes in northern Brown County.  Mr. Prince began buying up land in Brown County. One 60 acre parcel in what is now the northern part of Sweetwater was purchased from the Brand family for $3,600 ($60 per acre!). Work on Cordry Dam was begun in 1952 and lot sales took off. An original brochure advertises lot prices at $12 per lakefront foot and contracts with monthly payments were available. Mr. Prince’s original operation was in a building located at the entrance of Prince’s Lakes. That building now houses a liquor store, barber shop and real estate office. Howard Prince’s business concerns at Cordry and Sweetwater Lakes entered into a receivership in mid 1958. Mr. Prince died in 1962. Prince’s Lakes became an incorporated town in 1956.

In 1962 a Conservancy was formed with the primary objective being the completion of Cordry and Sweetwater Dams. Lot sales continued on both Cordry and Sweetwater Lakes. Sweetwater Dam was begun in 1963. Sweetwater Dam was completed and the lake filled to its current pool level in 1967. Cordry Dam was completed in 1968 and it filled to its current pool level in the same year.

It is interesting to note that at different stages of development the two lakes were to be connected. At one time a canal was in the plans to be located just north of Muskrat Drive on Sweetwater across to Cordry Lake. At another time, a third lake located in what is now the nature trail area would join the two lakes. As time went on the costs for either of these projects escalated and it was not feasible to complete.

This brief history of the office and the area come from Carol Catt. Carol began her career in the area in 1963 when Wm. E. Bodenhamer took over the operation of Sweetwater Lake Inc. in 1963. Dr. Bodenhamer talked Carol into coming to work for $250 a month as a secretary. Manager Charlie Hendricks was responsible for platting the offshore lots. Carol’s signature as Secretary and Notary Public are on many of the original plat sheets. Carol Catt was an important factor in the development and progress of Cordy and Sweetwater Lakes until 2003 when she and her husband John sold the business.

History of Sweetwater Realty

SWEETWATER REALTY specializes in lake area properties located in and around Cordry and Sweetwater Lakes in northern Brown County. The office was originally built in 1962 by Bargersville Lumber Company at a cost of $6,000. The building was originally intended to be a model cottage. Sweetwater Lake Incorporated operated out of this location after moving from what is now the Cordry Sweetwater Conservancy District office in 1962.

The primary focus at this time was the sale of lots on both Cordry and Sweetwater Lakes. Sweetwater Lake Inc. was sold by court order in 1965 to L. Manson. In 1970 Robert Chappell took over the operation until a bankruptcy was filed in 1974. During the period from 1974 to 1979, Carol Catt operated Sweetwater Lake Inc. under the supervision of the Federal Bankruptcy Court in Indianapolis.

In 1979 Carol and John Catt made the only bid to buy the building and leftover parcels of land from the bankruptcy court. Some parcels, park areas, and roads were deeded to the Conservancy. The building was remodeled and the lower level finished in 1989 by John Catt. Carol operated the agency under the name of Sweetwater Lake Realty until January 1, 2003 when she and John Catt sold the building and business to Gary and Joy Albers and Dave Jarrett operating as Sweetwater Realty Corporation. Gary and Joy bought out Dave in 2007.

In 2014 Aaron and Mandy Parris acquired Sweetwater Realty, and continue to support the community through this community business.  The office building was renovated in 2015, and we look forward to many years of helping families build memories at the lake!

Sweetwater Realty offers the services of 9 Brokers. Our agents have represented transactions in Brown and surrounding counties. We are members of the Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of Realtors (MIBOR) and can be located on the internet at www.sweetwaterrealty.com.